5 Lesser known facts about Mohanlal
Winner of five National awards, Awardee of India’s fourth highest civilian honor – the Padma Shri and Malayalam cinema’s most loved star, Mohanlal is celebrating his birthday today. Mohanlal began his career with the film Manjil Virinja Pookkal (1980), however, his first role was in the film Thiranottam (1978), which was released only 25 years later, due to censorship issues. Despite starring in a supporting role in his debut, Mohanlal went on to become an established star during the mid-1980s. His film Rajavinte Makan (1986) positioned his stardom in films. In a career spanning over four decades, he has acted in Hindi, Telugu, Kannada and Tamil films. Here are some lesser-known facts about the actor.
1. In 2016, Mohanlal became the only South Indian actor to have starred in two movies that grossed over 100 crores – Pulimurugan and Janatha Garage.
2. In 2009, he became the first actor to be awarded the honorary rank of Lieutenant colonel in the Territorial Army of India.
3. Mohanlal and director Priyadarshan have collaborated for close to 40 films. Their last film together was Oppam which released in the year 2016. The two are set to collaborate for their most ambitious film till date Marakkar- Arabikadalinte Simham which is based on the life of 16th Century naval chief Kunjali Marakkar.
4. In 2001, he made his debut in theatre. He played the role of Karna in Karnabharam, a Sanskrit-language play directed by Kavalam Narayana Panicker.
5. In 2012, Mohanlal became the first South Indian actor to be honoured with the title of Black belt in Taekwondo from Kukkiwon, South Korea.
What do you like about Mohanlal? Tell us in the comments section below.